Friday, March 6, 2015

A Southern Inspired Dinner Party

You all know I love a good themed Dinner Party! We are having a few of our couple friends over this weekend and I am SO excited to plan our little get together!

I had a few ideas for themes which as per usual started around the cocktail. The boys are into Whiskey so I immediately thought BBQ. What goes better with Whiskey than an array of smoked and rubbed meat? I can't think of much. So I am going to do Whiskey on the rocks, but I also wanted a fun cocktail. So I decided to use my favorite Southern Sweet Tea recipe and kick it up a bit by adding some rum! I am throwing around the idea of doing a Spiked Lemonade as well, but it will all come down to timing!

I have a lot of the sides nailed down, Oliver will take care of the meat which he is on Cloud Nine about, and for dessert... Maple Bacon Donuts. Easily one of my most favorite things Oliver makes! He candies the bacon to top the Cinnamon donut and makes a maple glaze. No one said it was healthy but I promise it is 100% worth the calories!

Here is my recipe for Spiked Sweet Tea- I have found that I sometimes add a bit more Rum that this calls for, but I start with this and add if needed as I am pouring out the drinks!

7 Cups of Water
6 Orange pekoe tea bags
1 1/2 Cups of Sugar (the recipe calls for regular sugar I prefer coconut palm sugar- better flavor!)
1 1/3 Cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Cup Bacardi or any dark rum
Fresh mint & lemon wedge to garnish

Directions: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan, adding the tea bags in ( I usually tie their strings together to make getting them out easier). Removing the pan from heat, cover and let the tea steep for 5-7 minutes. Remove the tea bags. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add in the last 3 cups of water, continue to stir. Let it cool, adding in the lemon juice and rum before serving.


Make sure to check back, I will have all the details up on the blog this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment