Friday, December 12, 2014

Foodie Paradise: Portland, ME

I loved visiting Portland so much I needed to give it the credit it was due in it's own post! I  mentioned before on here that we were in Maine for a little getaway for Oliver's birthday.

I managed to surprise him which is a big deal, only because I am notorious for not being able to keep surprises actually as a surprise. I have given him just about every gift for every occasion except his wedding gift, beforehand. I also love to figure out surprises myself, so really there is minimal surprise all around!

So Portland...we stayed at an amazing hotel in the heart of the town called, Portland Regency Hotel & Spa. I was fortunate enough to find a Groupon so it was super cheap, but not lacking in luxury! The photo of the hotel is from their site, I wasn't able to get a great picture & wanted to do it justice!


My only misstep in preparation was I forgot to pack bathing suits for the hot tub & sauna. To be fair I was packing in secret and I did not have the slightest clue where Oliver put his suits! So unfortunately we skipped the hot tub and hit up some pre-dinner cocktails instead!

The North Point is where we kicked off our night. We literally stepped out the front door of the hotel and were right there. I loved the dim lights & decor so we headed in for drinks & the best cheese and charcuterie plate around! If you saw my Instagram I posted a photo of our drinks!

Oliver was super happy because they had loads of cider on tap, I went for the Ginger St. Germain- it was amazing! I snapped a little photo of the description hoping I can recreate it at home!



After our pre-dinner snack we took a little stroll around the neighborhood, I loved the quaintness of the town which is very much still a working port!

Dinner was at Street & Co and it was simply delicious! I have to be honest we were pretty full after our cheese & meat plate, but I am so glad we didn't skip dinner. I had clams that were to die for, Oliver went for Arctic Char which I had several tastings of! What I also loved about this place was the decor, it was a stone building with rustic decor & loads of candles, perfect date night spot!

While we were eating it felt like the temperature dropped 15 degrees so we practically ran back to the hotel and snuggled up in our Spa robes & called it a night!

The next morning, waking super refreshed we went to a bakery Oliver follows on Instagram called Scratch Baking Co. He hopes to someday open a bakery/cafe with some sort of cycling component to it so he is always checking out places that inspire him. The bakery was really cute & trendy, we were quite obviously not regulars, but they were welcoming nonetheless.

We went for a quick, and I do mean quick, stroll on the beach by the Birthday Boy's request! You can tell how windy it was by both of our hair, it was also absolutely freezing!!

















After the beach we headed South to our sweet boy Clovis who I think had been waiting for us by the window! My Mom sent us this picture while we were away, talk about tugging on heartstrings! 



If you haven't been to Portland I highly suggest making plans to go soon! If you have been what are some of your favorite places? Have you been to any of the restaurants we went to?


No comments:

Post a Comment